Tuesday, July 5, 2011

LGBTQ 30 Day Challenge: Day 21

Day 21:Political LGBT issue that is closest to you and affects you the most?

I'd have to say marriage equality and adoption are both equally important to me and I think in many way, they go hand in hand.  Not that all LGBT people that want the right to marry also want to have kids, but I think there are many of them do. 

Marriage says to your neighborhood, your city, your county, your state, your country, your world, that you are committed to someone through thick and thin.  It doesn't matter about gender, it's about love. Just this past couple weeks while I was home with my mother, I made the comment that I wanted to get married and and have kids, and she was floored.  She asked me how I intended to do this and I said, "adoption, surrogacy, there are a lot of options." Then she asked about the marriage and asked, "So, are you just not going to love her?" I was caught off guard this time.  It took a second for me to process and then I realized her thought process.  When I told her I intended to marry a man, she said, "that isn't legal." I'm so often surrounded by supportive friends and co-workers, especially in a university setting, that I forget so many people still feel this way.  That is way marriage rights are so important to LGBT people.  Just like not all straight people have to get married, neither do all LGBT's, but we should have the right to.  We tried separate but equal in the 50's and 60's.  It didn't work.  I don't understand why that is so hard for people to understand or accept.  But I fully believe I will have the right to marry the man I love, gods willing we find each other, in any of the 50 states in this country before I die.  But if I don't, as I told my mother, "I don't give a fuck what the state says is legal."  You can't deny true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment