Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Moe's v. Chipotle

A Chipotle Mexican Grill just opened up today on The Strip here in Knoxville...right across from Moe's Southwest Grill. I had never eaten at a Chipotle before as we don't have one in Memphis that I'm aware of, but people I've known from Nashville have raved about the place So, I decided to stop in today and try it out. Upon first glance, it reminds me a lot of Swanky's Taco Shop, a favorite of a close friend of mine from home. It has a very industrial feel and that generic international music to match. The menus are done in a very minimalist way that fits the environment, but somehow still look a bit odd.

I decided I'd get a burrito, something I'm very familiar with from Moe's. They started with some white rice, with what I think was some cilantro and then my choice of pinto or black beans; I went with black. But, unlike Moe's, tofu didn't seem to be an option, so I got the chicken. There were also some freshly grilled veggies, so I got some of those. They added pico de gallo, sour cream, and cheese, and from there I asked for some guacamole. It was a bit expensive, but I could see them making it fresh in the back, so I thought I'd go for it.

I started eating the tortilla chips and was left wanting. They're plain, out-of-a-bag tortilla chips. And the salsa that came with them was bland to say the least. But I'm not here for the chips. On to the burrito.

I took my first bite and it was amazing. The chicken had the best flavor and wasn't the least bit dry. The guacamole was so creamy, I couldn't have asked for more. And the fresh grilled vegetables did nothing but enhance. Overall, it was truly delicious. But it was a good $4+ more than Moe's. I've decided that I'm going to go to Moe's tomorrow and compare the two while it's fresh in my mind. More details tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment