Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oh, Mother

Mother's Day is here again and every year it passes, I realize just how lucky I am to have such an awesome mom. She's stuck with me through thick and thin, through acting out and coming out, despite her devout Southern Baptist beliefs. But I also realize how many people aren't as lucky as I am.

I was talking to Drew, my best friend's boyfriend, yesterday and all of this came into an even clearer focus. I made my mom a CD for mother's day and designed a CD jacket to go with it that contained a little bit about why I included each song and the lyrics to each song. I was excited about it and asking opinions. We started talking about how much our friend Joe's mom, Aunt Ramona, has done for us here and how in so many ways, she has become our surrogate mom. As we were talking, Drew expressed that appreciated everything Aunt Ramona did for us and that he had some pangs of jealousy and resentment when Jason, my best friend/his boyfriend, got birthday presents form his mom. Drew didn't get so much as a text from his mother on his birthday. He's tried and tried to keep the lines of communication open, but his mom just doesn't seem to care. It's so sad. And all because of his sexual orientation. It's just not acceptable. And I know he's not alone.

So, on this day we celebrate our moms, be thankful for the good ones in our lives, biological or not, here with us or watching over from above, and know that if you've known the true love of a mother, you are indeed one of the blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment