Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sister Wives

I’ve watched “Sister Wives” several times and I always have mixed emotions about the idea of polygamy. It’s not for me, I know. I’m hardwired as a monogamist. But, just like I don’t think it’s fair that the government says I can’t marry another man, I don’t think it’s air for the government to legislate how many people can get married. And in my opinion, you can’t have it both ways. If you’re for marriage equality, you should truly be for MARRIAGE EQUALITY across the board. However, to cut off any craziness that might ensue from that statement, all parties should be of legal, consenting adult age and be able to verbalize. No children, no animals. That’s just ridiculous.

Anyway, on a base level, I’m totally ok with it, assuming that all parties involved know exactly what they’re getting into. No forcing a daughter to marry into a polygamous marriage, no wives/husbands in different states that don’t know about each other, none of that. Everyone needs 100% disclosure up front. If everyone is on the same page, go for it.

But I can’t imagine being with multiple people at the same time…or, ya know, separately. I’m not in favor of open relationship for myself, but again, if everyone involved is ok with it, by all means have fun. I’m not a jealous person, but I think if I knew my significant other was with other people, that might change. I know that polygamy isn’t the same as an open relationship in that all partners know each other and usually don’t engage in sexual behaviors together. But it would still be weird for me.

I do like the idea of having multiple parental units to raise kids, though. How great would that be? It takes a village to raise a child, right? But it would have to be hard on the kids, too. If you homeschool, they’re likely to be socially awkward. Although, with that many kids, maybe not. But the Duggers are… Anyway, but if they go to school, they either have to keep it quiet or face potential torment from peers.

However you look at it, love is love, but polygamy is definitely something to seriously consider before diving in. I can’t help but wonder if even serious contemplation could truly prepare a person for that life.

No comments:

Post a Comment