Thursday, June 23, 2011

LGBTQ 30 Day Challenge: Day 13

Day 13: Your favorite LGBT role model/celebrity?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely out of the loop or one of those pretentious assholes that claims to pay no attention to actors/musicians/celebrities, because I do.  I love film.  I love music.  And I have a healthy helping of pop culture in my life.  But I don't really have a favorite LGBTQ specific celebrity.  The celebrities I like, I like wither because I like their music or I think they're hot...or both. 

If I had to pick...I guess I'd say Neil Patrick Harris.  I feel like he is an excellent example to the straight community that LGBTQ people are more similar than not.  He's married.  He has kids.  He's not a crazy flamboyant queen (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it doesn't usually help convince the skeptics that we're not all crazy).

He also convincingly plays a straight man exceedingly well.  And not just a straight man, a womanizer.  This is great because there is this idea that once an actor is out, an audience can never take him/her seriously in a role as a straight character.  Be completely debunks this! And I have to applaud him for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment