Sunday, June 12, 2011

LGBTQ 30 Day Challenge: Day 2

Day 2: Did you have any experiences as a child that might have foreshadowed your sexuality?

I’m not quite sure how to answer this question. Did something happen to me that made me gay? I don’t think so. But there were things that I did when I was little that should have been red rainbow flags. I always liked to play with “girl” toys. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my G.I. Joe’s, Batman, the X-Men, and blowing stuff up, but I always wanted a couple Barbies so that they could get married and have families. I had a bunch of Cabbage Patch Dolls and always wanted more. I liked to play school and wanted an Asian boy & girl, black boy & girl, Hispanic boy & girl, blond boy & girl, redheaded boy & girl, and a brunette boy & girl. What can I say? I grew up in Memphis. :)

And in retrospect, I had crushes on guys as a kid. I remember in the 2nd grade really really really wanting to be good friends with Brandon Hodges. I also remember an older kid named Daniel Booker that I always wanted to hang out with me. He had his ear pierced and I always thought that was the coolest thing. Ahh, the 90’s.

All that said, while I’m not the most masculine of men, I’m not feminine either. I guess I’m kinda middle of the road. I can hang with the guys or chat with the girls. It really makes no difference to me. I like to build and fix things, but like fashion as well, even though I adhere to my own sense of style. I think there were a lot of internal markers, but most of the external were chocked up to the fact that I was raised around almost exclusively women and had mostly female cousins. I’ve known I was gay since I was ~12 years old, but I think I fall into a nice niche where the people who don’t care pick it up almost immediately and the people that do, don’t ever seem to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment